Dr. Ram Upendra Das
Dr. Ram Upendra Das is Professor at the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi. He is also Honorary Fellow, Academy for World Watch, Shanghai, China; Non-resident Fellow, Hazar Strategy Institute (HASEN), Istanbul; Honorary Professor, New Delhi Institute of Management and Member, Academic Advisory Council, Birla Institute of Management and Technology. His broad areas of specialisation include international economics and development policy.
With over 25 years of research experience, Dr. Das has contributed to various studies, including inter-governmental Joint Study Groups (JSGs), and international negotiating processes on behalf of Government of India in the context of India’s economic engagements with other countries. He also represented India in the Track II study group of the CEPEA under the East Asia Summit process. He contributed to the drafting of the SAFTA Treaty and SAARC Agreement on Trade in Services (SATIS) for the SAARC Secretariat. Additionally, he has also contributed to resolving complex issues during the India-ASEAN trade negotiations.
He was invited as a state guest by the US Department of State under the IVLP; and the Government of Indonesia under the Presidential Friends of Indonesia programme and received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Government of Maldives. He has conducted and supervised a number of studies for various institutions including the ADB, Commonwealth Secretariat, ILO, Exim Bank of India, SAARC Secretariat, UNDP, UNESCAP and the World Bank. He has numerous publications to his credit on issues relating to international economics and development, including entries in peer-reviewed journals and books. The most recent books include Perspectives on Rules of Origin, Palgrave-Macmillan: UK (2011); Regional Trade and Economic Integration, World Scientific: Singapore and New Jersey (2012) and Meaning of Indian Economic Dynamism for the East Asian Economic Integration Process, ERIA: Jakarta (2014).
He obtained his Ph.D. and M.Phil. degrees in Economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- Honorary Professor, New Delhi Institute of Management, June 2014.
- Honorary Fellow, Academy for World Watch, Shanghai China, July, 2013.
- Member, Expert Group on Rules Of Origin , Government Of India, June, 2013.
- Alumnus of the Programme ‘Presidential Friends of Indonesia’ Participated in this Programme from India as a State Guest of the President of Indonesia and visited Bali, Jakarta and Bogor on 13-19 August 2009.
- Alumnus of US Department of State IVLP Participated in the International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP) on ‘US Trade Policy’ organized by the US Department of State at Washington DC, New York City, Minneapolis, Seattle and Chicago in October-November 2006.
- Certificate of Appreciation: Received a Certificate of Appreciation from the Minister of Planning and Development, Government of Maldives, for conducting a Training Programme on Macroeconomic Forecasting(sponsored by the Commonwealth Secretariat) for the Maldivian Government Officers in Male (2005).
- Scholarships: National Merit Scholarship (1982); State Inter-Merit Scholarship (1982); National Merit Scholarship (1986).
- Research Projects
- Lectures/Seminars/Conference Presentations
Email : email@example.com
Regional Economic Cooperation
Rules of Origin
Trade, Growth and Technology
Labour Market Implications of Economic Reforms
WTO Agreement on Textiles and Clothing